THE III INTERNATIONAL CONTEST FOR YOUNG OPERA SINGERS
IN HONOR OF PEOPLE'S ARTIST OF THE USSR
The founder of the competition
the Ministry of Culture of the Chuvash Republic
Chuvash State Opera and Ballet Theater, the city of Cheboksary
DREW - August 20 at 17.00
GRAND OPENING -August 20 at 18.30
ROUND II - August 21 and 22
ROUND III - August 24
GALA CONCERT OF LAUREATES, CLOSING CEREMONY - August 25 at 18.30
Tribute to the 120th anniversary of the birth of M.D. Mikhailov
Russia, Chuvash Republic, Cheboksary, 20th – 25th of August 2013
I. GENERAL INFORMATION
1. Ministry for Cultural Affairs and Nationalities of the Russian federation is the establisher of the Contest.
2. The III M.D. Mikhailov's International Contest for young opera artists is carried out in association with the P. Tchaikovsky Fund for the Support of Russian National Culture (Moscow).
3. Organizer of the Contest is Chuvash State Opera and Ballet theatre.
1. Vocalists aged from 17 to 35 y.o. (inclusive), professional singers, graduates and students of music education facilities can participate in the Contest.
2. Competition comprises two elimination rounds and one final competition.
Performance order is determined by means of random draw and persists until the end of the Contest.
3. The first round of the Contest is underway in absentia, with audio/video recordings being submitted to the jury.
Participants of the Contest need to provide the jury panel with audio or video recording of their performance before July 20, 2013. It must be featuring performance of one or two arias and shared using a filesharing service.
A link to download the file must be sent to the following e-mail addresses: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Along with audio/video recordings, it is necessary to provide the organizers of the Contest with scanned versions of application documents, in electronic format to e-mail addresses: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
III. PROCEDURE FOR FILING AN APPLICATION
The list of application documents to be provided by the Contest participant:
- Contest's application form (please find the link at the end of Information about the Contest document).
- Scanned copy of the first page of the passport;
- Copy of a musical education institution graduation certificate, for students — proof of student status document;
- Performer's CV (resume) must feature the following information:
- Full name, Tituli, job position, specialization of the speciality teacher;
- Copies of competitions’ honoree diplomas;
- Current activities summary;
- A photo to be placed in the Contest booklet (colored, portrait, large view feature photography).
5. Vocalists, eligible for participation in the Contest, receive an invitation with arrival date and details on the E-mail address specified in the application document.
Invitation via mailis being sent only to residents of foreign countries that require entrance visa to visit Russia.
6. International participants willing to come to a Contest with accompanying person should mail out the copy of the first page of the accompanying person's passport in order to process visa invitation.
7. An entry fee of 100 USD is paid by the Contest participant on August 20 2013 during registration (before the random draw is carried out).
IV. THE CONTEST'S POLICY STATEMENTS
1. The Contest's performances order is determined by means of random draw prior to the Contest, remaining up until the end of the Contest.
2. Decisions of the jury are final and are not subject of reconsideration.
3. Alterations in the program declared by the participant are allowed only on agreement with the jury.
4. The Contest's organizing committee reserves the right for online broadcasts of auditions and concluding concerts of contest, along with radio and TV broadcasts.
1. The Contest's organizing committee provides each participant of the Contest with a qualified accompanier, based on the advance request submitted before July 20, 2013 and payment of 25 USD on August 20, 2013 during registration before the random drawing session.
2. Incase a participant performs with his own accompanist, all of the expenses on invitation and accommodation of the accompanist are undertaken by the participant of the Contest.
1. The organizing committee provides each participant with rehearsal rooms and 15-20 minutes of time for try-outs in the theatre auditorium.
2. Orchestral rehearsals with Chuvash State Opera and Ballet theatre's symphony orchestra will be organized for the participants of the Contest's third round and Gala concert by the additional schedule.
VII. AWARDS AND PRIZES
- The first prize of 1500 $ and laureate title.
- The second prize of 1000 $ and laureate title.
- The third prize of 500 $ and laureate title.
The Contest's certificates being awarded:
- "For the best performance of aria or song from M.D. Mikhailov's repertoire";
- "For the best performance of aria from Giuseppe Verdi's opera"
(tribute to the composer's 200th anniversary);
- "For the best performance of S.S. Rakhmaninov's song"
(tribute to the composer's 140th anniversary);
- "For the bright artistic interpretation and masterly performance";
- "To the best teacher";
- "To the best accompanier";
Participants of the third round who are not subject to laureate degree, become awarded with an diploma and title of International M.D. Mikhailov's contest diploma winner.
The panel of judges reserves the right to divide the prizes between laureates within the specified inducement fund.
Special prizes could be set up by state-owned and public organizations, creative unions, media, companies and institutions, in coordination with the jury committee.
Contest laureates will be invited to participate in the XXIII International opera festival in honor of M.D. Mikhailov and the other festivals.
VIII. FINANCIAL CONDITIONS
1. The organizing committee provides and compensates accommodation for the Contest participants who get to the 3rd round, from the date of he 2nd round results announcement until the date of official closing of the Contest.
2. Participants of the Contest should cover the expenses on the visa, invitation, flight and railroad tickets on their own.
IX. WORKSHOP SESSIONS
On request of the Contest participants, the organizing committee arranges workshops with jury members.
The first round of the Contest is carried out "in absentio", desicions are based on the audio or video recordings provided.
The recording must feature performance of one or two arias.
1. Long-standing aria (from opera, cantata or oratorio from centuries XVI-XVIII, before Mozart inclusively);
2. Operatic aria at the choice of the participant;
3. Aromance or art song at the choice of the participant.
Two operatic arias at the choice of the participant (from Russian, Soviet or foreign composers' pieces).
The final audition is accompanied by the Chuvash State Opera and Ballet theatre's symphony orchestra.
- The participants should coordinate availability of music scores and orchestral voices of arias for performance in the third round with the organizing committee;
- Pieces of work, performed in the first distant round, can be repeated in the second or third tours;
- Alterations in the performance schedules are allowed in exceptional cases, only with the approval of the Contest's jury.